On our Swedenborg’s influence page, we’ve been collecting more data, and there’s a lot more to do. We’re trying to develop a reliable, comprehensive list – and it is quite amazing but still in the early stages. If you know of other influential people who should be on our list, or have evidence to support the lines of influence, please let us know.
We added a new page: New Christian resource links.
You probably know all about our great Swedenborg Digital Library, with its online texts of a lot of useful books. Well, in addition to that, we’ve just added a Swedenborg Bookstore here, in concert with New Church Allied Publishers.
The New Christian Bible Study Project has imported a Spanish translation of Heaven and Hell. Here’s a link: El Cielo y El Infierno. It’s a 1911 translation that was done by Dr. Calleja. The team at swedenborg.es worked with the New Christian Bible Study people to provide this. More Spanish translations are on the way, and the NCBSP site also has Swedenborg’s works in other languages, too.
We’re adding pages with brief descriptions of various New Church schools around the world, along with links to their sites. So far, we have pages for Toronto, Pittsburgh, Bryn Athyn and Washington’s schools.
We added another new page to the site; this one on New Christian education. It’s going to be the start of a set of pages on the New Church schools around the world, and the useful work they are doing.
We’ve added a new page, on Swedenborg’s influence. It includes a list of some 150 well-known people who were Swedenborgians, or who were significantly influenced by his work.
Dr. Ian Thompson, the New Zealand-born nuclear physicist, says it is. He recently published a book entitled Starting Science from God. In it, he advances an argument that science and religion to not need to be in conflict. He believes it is plausible to posit that there is a God, and to develop a theistic philosophy that meshes well with what we know from science. This book is not for light reading, but that’s good — it’s a serious book by a serious scientist about a serious subject that really digs into the big questions. Here’s a link to Dr. Thompson’s website: http://www.beginningtheisticscience.com/
This is just a brief post, but it could be the start of an interesting line of research; there’s actually a lot of interesting history at the intersection of New Christian thought and educational philosophy. For a sneak preview, you might want to look up Friedrich Froebel, Alice Putnam, Helen Keller – all educational pioneers.
However, in this post, we just wanted to point out this list of New Church schools in the US, Canada, Ghana, South Africa, and the Philippines:
- Bryn Athyn Church School, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA
- Carmel New Church School, Caryndale, Ontario, Canada
- Glenview New Church School, Glenview, Illinois, USA
- Kainon School, Westville, Natal, South Africa
- Philippine New Church Preparatory School, Bataan Province, Philippines
- Kempton New Church School, Kempton, Pennsylvania, USA
- New Church School Tema, Tema, Ghana
- Oak Arbor School, Rochester, Michigan, USA
- Olivet New Church School, Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
- Pittsburgh New Church School, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Washington New Church School, Mitchellville, Maryland, USA
- Academy of the New Church Secondary Schools, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA
- Bryn Athyn College of the New Church, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA
- Bryn Athyn College of the New Church Theological School, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA
- Academy of the New Church Asia Missionary Course, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA
- Purley Chase Centre, Mancetter, England, UK
Here’s another site that lets you read the Bible and commentary on its inner meaning from Swedenborg’s works, side by side. Plus there are explanations of Bible words and phrases, Bible stories, and spiritual topics. Here’s the link: newchristianbiblestudy.org